Many of us start to notice the unwanted signs of aging as early as our 30s! The timing of when aging appears depends a lot on your genes and family history. This type of “intrinsic” aging is somewhat preventable, but there are also a lot of “extrinsic” factors that contribute to aging: sun exposure, diet, activity level, alcohol consumption, etc. A good plan for putting your best face forward as you age is to manage the extrinsic factors under your control while pursuing cosmetic treatments that turn back the hands of time.
How to Prevent Aging
So we know that we cannot completely prevent the signs of aging. Inevitably, wrinkles and loss of elasticity will occur. But there are things you can do to prevent the onset of aging:
- Protect your skin from the sun. Sun exposure is a major source of skin damage and aging. You should wear sun protection, including an SPF-rated moisturizer for daily wear, and sunblock when you will be outside for an extended period.
- Don’t tan. Tanning beds and tanning outside in the sun are detrimental to your skin, leading to wrinkles, poor texture, age spots, and other damage. Your natural skin is beautiful! Consider an option like spray tanning if you must tan.
- Don’t smoke. Tobacco use is a surefire way to age earlier than you would naturally. And it’s never too late to kick the habit! You may notice a difference in your skin shortly after you quit.
- Eat healthy. There is some evidence connecting aging skin to a diet rich in processed food, red meat, and sugar. The reason could be that these foods tend to cause inflammation in the body, which will also show up on your skin. Include lots of vegetables and fresh fruit in your diet for glowing skin.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydrated skin looks aged, so drink plain water every day to stay hydrated.
When Creams and Lifestyle Fall Short: Cosmetic Anti-Aging Procedures
At some point, you are going to notice wrinkles, sagging, skin damage, and other signs of aging, even if you practice skin-healthy habits. When this happens, a cosmetic procedure or minimally invasive treatment can really turn back the clock. Some of the most popular include:
To learn more about these treatments in Boca Raton, please call the plastic surgery practice of Dr. David Bogue at 561-886-1000.