Giving birth to your child after nine months of pregnancy is a moment you’ll remember forever. Childbirth is one of life’s miracles and watching your child grow brings immeasurable joy.
Unfortunately, pregnancy and childbirth can add significant stresses to a woman and often changes the body in many ways. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Bogue understands your wishes to return characteristics of your pre-baby body. A mommy makeover is a comprehensive surgical approach to making over your body and breasts.
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can all greatly alter your physique. While you may experience indescribable joy being a mom, you may also feel a little less confident in your body as a result of these physical changes.
If you’d like to learn more about the mommy makeover procedure and if it’s right for you, please contact us by filling out the form on this page or by calling us at 561-886-1000 to schedule your consultation. We proudly serve those who live in and near Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach, South Florida.
“Dr. Bogue, Thank you so much for an amazing experience. You have a comforting bedside manner and do beautiful work. You are the best! – Jennifer”
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A woman’s body goes through many changes during pregnancy. Additional weight is gained to accommodate your growing child, your breasts enlarge as they produce milk, and hormonal fluctuations can all cause you to feel unlike your normal self. For many women, getting their body back to its pre-baby size, weight, and shape is difficult. Because of the many changes both physically and mentally, not to mention the lack of sleep and other lifestyle changes, shedding the baby weight can seem impossible.
Fortunately, a mommy makeover can help your figure in many ways by combining multiple plastic surgery procedures to address all areas of concern you may have. Dr. Bogue understands that each woman is unique and may have issues that are different from another mother. With a mommy makeover, Dr. Bogue can customize the procedure to include only the treatments you need to address the specific areas of the body which you wish to rejuvenate.
The areas of the body a mommy makeover can address include:
What Procedures are Part of a Mommy Makeover?
As we mentioned, a mommy makeover commonly refers to a set of procedures designed to return your breasts and your body to their pre-pregnancy form. Whether you wish to eliminate excess fat in areas of your body, have sagging skin after losing the pregnancy weight, or have significant changes to your breasts after breastfeeding, Dr. Bogue can tailor a treatment plan just for you.
Some of the most common procedures included in a mommy makeover include:
What are the benefits of a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is designed to improve physical proportions and contouring across multiple areas of the body. Some of the benefits of this customized procedure include:
- A flatter, tighter midsection. Pregnancy and aging result in the loosening of the abdominal muscles. Even getting back to your pre-pregnancy weight, you may feel dissatisfied with the general shape of your abdomen and the appearance of your abdominal skin. Abdominoplasty as a part of the Mommy Makeover sculpts the midsection so it is bikini-ready whenever you are.
- Restore shapely breasts. The breasts are another area of the body that can change dramatically due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, and age. The Mommy Makeover can restore shape and projection with breast augmentation, a breast lift, or both.
- No more fat rolls. There is no telling how much fat a particular body will hold, or where. Fat rolls are common to the abdomen, flanks, hips, buttocks, and thighs. When sculpting an area like the abdomen during a Mommy Makeover, it makes sense to imagine how surrounding areas will be affected by the slimming changes. Liposuction as an aspect of a Mommy Makeover helps the surgeon create smooth transitions from one area to the next.
- Multiple benefits from a single surgery. All of the procedures involved in a Mommy Makeover are available individually. However, undergoing individual procedures also means enduring individual recovery phases. The Mommy Makeover maximizes surgical outcomes and minimizes downtime.
- Emotional satisfaction. As humans, we often do things because they make us feel good. Our appearance affects how we feel. Sagging, deflated breasts and loose abdominal skin and fat can make a woman feel self-conscious regardless of how proud she feels to be a mother. Mommy Makeover treatment allows a woman to live more confidently in her body., and there is no overestimating the value of confidence.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Many patients want to know how soon after pregnancy can they undergo a mommy makeover. Usually, a minimum of six months is required before performing any cosmetic procedures. However, it is wise to wait longer if you are still losing weight or currently breastfeeding or lactating. Regardless of where you are in the post-pregnancy phase, you can always have a consultation with Dr. Bogue to begin planning for your procedure.
A few factors that are important in determining whether it is the right time to undergo these procedures:
- Stability of your weight
- Current breastfeeding and lactating status
- Overall health status
- You have realistic expectations about the procedure
If you have lost as much of the baby weight as you can and your breasts have stopped producing milk, then now is likely an appropriate time to undergo a mommy makeover.
Many women also wonder if they can have children after having the mommy makeover procedure. The answer is yes, you can have more children. There is nothing performed in a mommy makeover to prevent you from getting pregnant or carrying a child. However, the results from the procedure are likely to suffer from the changes associated with pregnancy and may, therefore, require revision.
Mommy Makeover Recovery and Results
After your procedures, you’ll be dressed with gauze and bandages which will be applied to any incisions you may have. If you had work done on your breasts, a support bra or a bandage will be given to help lessen swelling and support your breasts. If you had work done on your stomach, abdomen, or buttocks area you may also be fitted with a compression garment to minimize swelling. An overnight stay in the hospital is required. By combining the operations, the recoveries occur at the same time and you return to your normal activities sooner.
Dr. Bogue will also give you specific instructions for your post-treatment care to maximize your recovery and results. These instructions may include:
- The proper care for any sites where you had surgery
- Proper medication to take and when to aid in your recovery
- What to look out for regarding the surgical sites and your health during recovery
- When to have follow-up appointments
You will need to take some time off to recover from a mommy makeover. It can be difficult for busy moms to take downtime, but allowing your body to recover properly is essential to the body’s healing. It is a good idea to have help with childcare during your recovery phase. Recovery is usually about 3-4 weeks, during which time your work and exercise activities will be restricted. Once you heal, you'll see the results of your mommy makeover, which are long-lasting if you pursue a stable weight and a healthy lifestyle.
It’s important to keep in touch with Dr. Bogue if you experience any complications or have any concerns during your recovery phase. He and his entire staff are committed to helping you achieve the aesthetic results you desire with your health and safety in mind.
How long does a Mommy Makeover procedure take?
Mommy Makeovers involve two or more specific procedures to shape and sculpt the body. The type and number of procedures decided upon will dictate how long the surgery may last. One of the benefits of a Mommy Makeover is that it maximizes the time spent in the operating room. Bundling procedures may increase surgery time to four to six hours at one time versus an hour here and a few hours there. However, there is only one recovery phase.
What are the risks of a Mommy Makeover procedure?
All surgical procedures carry risks of bleeding, infection, adverse reactions to anesthesia, and poor wound healing. Surgeons use techniques to minimize these risks during procedures. Patients can help minimize surgical risks by following pre- and post-op instructions to a T. That said, Mommy Makeover treatment involves particular risks related to treatment areas.
Beyond the general surgical risks, a Mommy Makeover carries risks of nipple numbness and breast asymmetry. Breast implant complications may also occur, including capsular contracture. Abdominal procedures present the risk of skin numbness and tissue irregularities such as lumps. There is also a risk of blood clots in the legs, particularly for abdominal procedures. Because blood clots can be serious, patients are advised to walk as soon as possible after surgery to support adequate circulation from the lower extremities.
Thousands of Mommy Makeovers occur each year. The vast majority of patients achieve their desired outcome with no complications.
How long after a Mommy Makeover procedure will I see my results?
You may see some of the results of your Mommy Makeover immediately after surgery. During your early post-operative period, you may be groggy from your prescription pain medication and generally fatigued from the surgery itself, so you may not think to evaluate the changes right away. However, it is hard to miss larger, more shapely breasts and a flatter tummy. As your swelling subsides, your new shape becomes more apparent.
How much does a Mommy Makeover procedure cost on average?
It is difficult to estimate the cost of a Mommy Makeover because this treatment is customized to each patient. Some women choose to have one breast procedure, some choose to have two. Some women include liposuction to remove stubborn fat from the tummy, flanks, hips, or thighs. Some have a tummy tuck.
The cost of a Mommy Makeover consists of various fees. These include the fees for office visits, surgery-center costs, anesthesia, prescriptions, and post-operative care supplies. At your consultation, once your treatment plan is developed, our staff can provide you with an accurate cost estimate.
What should I expect at my Mommy Makeover consultation?
Your Mommy Makeover consultation should take about an hour. During this visit, we discuss all aspects of the process, including:
- Your treatment goals
- Your medical history
- Your family plans
- Who your surgical team will be
- Treatment recommendations
- Cost and financing options
- "Every now and then we are fortunate enough to meet a Doctor who exceeds all our expectations. Dr. Bogue is AMAZING and somehow makes each patient feel as though they are so special. From the moment I met him aside from being extremely impressed by his professionalism and knowledge, it was his kindness and warmth with a wonderful sense of humor that won me over. Once you meet Dr. Bogue you will never need a 2nd option knowing you've already got the BEST. I guarantee that you will love him as much as I do and be so comfortable knowing he's the one who will be taking exceptional care of you. " - F.G.
- "Absolutely love Dr. Bogue! He is friendly, professional, knowledgeable and my surgeries went well! I have recommended Dr. Bogue to several people and they all agree as well. Highly recommend!"- M.W.
- "My experience with Boca Raton's Dr. Bogue and his extremely professional staff has been wonderful. From pre-op to post-op they are always available to answer any and all questions. My surgery and recovery have been without incident. I highly recommend Dr. Bogue." - C.K.
Contact Our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Today
If you’re interested in a mommy makeover and live in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or any of the surrounding areas, please call the practice of board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Bogue at 561-886-1000.