Sometimes diet and exercise are not enough to give you the physique you desire. Despite best efforts, stubborn areas of fat can linger on the body, creating frustration and a sense of hopelessness for getting the flat tummy you want.
Hanging skin or a bulge in your abdomen can make you feel self-conscious about your appearance. You may be unhappy with how you look in clothes and swimsuits if you have extra fat or skin around your belly area.
Our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Bogue believes in providing high-quality results by using safe practices and giving each patient individualized care. If you’re interested in learning more about the tummy tuck procedure and if it’s right for you, contact us today at 561-886-1002 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve the areas of Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach, South Florida.
"Dr. Bogue, I just wanted to formally thank you for all that you have done for me. This has been a very challenging time in my life. Having a doctor that I am comfortable with and completely trust has made all of the difference. Your bedside manner is amazing, making me feel completely cared for. I cannot express how thankful I am that I chose you for my doctor. Thank you – Andrea"
- What is a Tummy Tuck?
- Tummy Tuck Benefits
- Tummy Tuck Options
- Tummy Tuck Candidates
- Cost of Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Questions about Tummy Tucks
Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is a body contouring procedure which removes excess skin and tightens underlying muscles in the stomach, resulting is a smoother, flatter abdomen. Many causes lead to abdominal skin excess and stretching of the muscles underneath including:
- Previous pregnancies
- A large amount of weight loss
The tummy tuck procedure removes the excess skin through an incision hidden in the bikini line on the lower abdomen. The muscles underneath are tightened to contour the waistline and prevent any bulging above or below the belly button.
Liposuction is often combined with a tummy tuck to address the waist, flanks, or hips at the same time. Dr. Bogue reviews your individual needs and concerns to design the appropriate procedure for you. Tummy tucks are also often part of the mommy makeover procedure as a way to address cosmetic concerns after pregnancy.
What are the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck Procedure?
The tummy tuck procedure has many benefits, beginning with the improvement of your physical appearance. Tummy tucks also help improve the physical function of your core. Since the procedure tightens abdominal muscles, your midsection becomes more able to become strengthened and toned which, when added to an active lifestyle, can help strengthen and tone your core.
The benefits of the tummy tuck procedure include:
- Slimmer midsection
- Tighten abdominal muscles
- Elimination of stretch marks
- Elimination of loose abdominal skin
- Safe and effective treatment
- Natural looking results
Tummy Tuck Options
Depending on the extent of your loose skin and excess fat, as well as the desired results you seek, there are multiple options available to help you slim and tone your midsection. Dr. Bogue provides four types of abdominoplasty techniques:
- Mini tummy tuck: If you have only a modest amount of extra skin and fat isolated to the area below your belly button, then you may be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck. The mini tummy tuck is often an outpatient procedure, allowing you to go home shortly after the operation. Although an advantage of this technique is a shorter scar, the mini tummy tuck is limited in what it can achieve and many people are better candidates for the full procedure.
- Full tummy tuck: The full tummy tuck technique tightens the entire abdomen from pelvis to ribs, using an incision extending from hip to hip. You may be a great candidate for this technique if you have extra skin and fat both above and below your belly button. The incision is typically well-hidden beneath most types of bikini bottoms and undergarments. After the procedure, you may need to stay overnight in a private room, under the care of the nursing staff.
- Extended tummy tuck: An extended tummy tuck is similar to a full tummy tuck, only the incision extends over the hips. This is used when there is excess skin of the outer thighs or flanks. By extending the incision, improvement in both the abdomen and the thighs can be performed at the same time. Although this procedure takes longer and requires an overnight stay, the results can be dramatic.
- Circumferential body lift: A circumferential body lift address the abdomen, flanks, outer thighs, buttocks, and lower back. This operation is commonly performed for patients with a history of massive weight loss. The incision is the same as an extended tummy tuck, but continues all the way around the back. A circumferential body lift requires an overnight stay and has a longer recovery than a traditional abdominoplasty.
With any of these techniques, Dr. Bogue may recommend combining your tummy tuck with liposuction for optimal results. Liposuction removes pockets of fat cells in various areas, allowing Dr. Bogue to sculpt the contours of your body in a way that flatters and complements your tummy tuck results.
Abdominoplasty is ideal if you have a protruding, flabby abdomen, but you may be a better candidate for a body lift if you are experiencing a sagging, deflated apron of skin hanging from the abdominal area. This type of drooping, stretched skin is often a result of massive weight loss, particularly after bariatric surgery. In a body lift, the incision goes around your body and the extra skin is removed, while remaining skin is re-draped and tightened.
Who are the Ideal Candidates for a Tummy Tuck Procedure?
While tummy tucks are generally safe and effective for all patients, there are certain health and lifestyle factors that may inhibit your candidacy for this procedure. The best way to know if this procedure is right for you is to schedule a complimentary consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Bogue. There Dr. Bogue will go over your medical history, current health status, and address any question or concerns you may have to determine the best procedure for you.
Ideal candidates for the tummy tuck procedure include those who:
- Are at or near their ideal weight
- Are in good overall health
- Have excess skin after significant weight loss
- Have loose skin or fat deposits after pregnancy
- Are not currently pregnant or not planning to be pregnant
- Are a non-smoker or willing to quit
Regardless of the tummy tuck technique you undergo, it is important to achieve a healthy weight prior to these procedures. A tummy tuck is not a weight loss solution, but rather a way of improving your body contour at your desired weight.
How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?
The cost of tummy tuck surgery varies. At Dr. Bogue's practice, abdominoplasty starts at about $3,000, but increases based on several factors, including:
- Type of tummy tuck
- Whether liposuction or another procedure is added
- Costs of hospital fees, anesthesia fees, garments, prescription medications, etc.
At your consultation with Dr. Bogue, our experienced staff will provide you with a quote for the cost of your tummy tuck, and we can show you how to apply for CareCredit financing, if you are interested in a payment plan.
Questions about Tummy Tucks:
The best way to get all the information you need about the tummy tuck procedure is to schedule an appointment for a complimentary consultation with Dr. David Bogue. Until then, we have listed a few of the most common questions people have regarding this procedure.
How do I know if I need a full tummy tuck or a mini?
During your exam, the laxity of the skin in different parts of the abdomen is assessed. If there is excessive skin above the belly button, then a full abdominoplasty is usually recommended.
What exactly is "muscle repair"?
The rectus muscles run vertically along either side of your belly button. After pregnancy or large weight gain, the edges of these muscles can separate – a physical sign called a diastasis. The muscle repair is a tight set of sutures which bring the edges of these muscles together creating a tightening of the abdominal wall reducing bulges and providing an internal corset.
Can a tummy tuck cure stretch marks?
Stretch marks are scars deep within the skin which are not responsive to creams and lotions. The only cure for stretch marks is to remove the involved skin. Often times a tummy tuck can remove the majority of stretch marks, particularly those located below the belly button.
Can liposuction be done at the same time as a tummy tuck?
Liposuction is often performed at the same time as a tummy tuck. In certain cases, the liposuction itself is used to assist in the elevation of the skin flap of the tummy tuck. However, in some cases, it is better to address the excess fat as a separate procedure as liposuction can cause issues with the abdominoplasty procedure itself.
What does the scar look like from a tummy tuck?
The scar from a tummy tuck is located in the lower abdomen, just above the pubis. It extends upwards in an oblique fashion towards the pelvic bones. The length of the scar depends upon the amount of skin removal required. In a body lift, this scar will extend all the way around the waist to the back.
Contact an Experienced Boca Raton Tummy Tuck Surgeon Today
If you are searching in the Boca Raton area for an experienced tummy tuck surgeon, please call the practice of board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Bogue at 561-886-1002. Dr. Bogue offers complimentary consultations (a $75 no-show fee will apply if a cancellation is not made 24 hours in advance). We proudly serve the areas of Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach, South Florida.